Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Choice To Go



I am a woman of many talents. I often go over and above and this has led to many opportunities of personal growth. As I took each opportunity, one would think I would become more employable when actually the opposite was true. The word often used was ‘overqualified’. It also did not help that I was over 50 years old and in Today’s America, that makes it much harder to find work also.
 
A Chinese company called First Future out of Beijing was willing to take a chance on me and hired me to teach English online to students in China. Although I was sitting in America, I was working in China every day. The students went from 3-65 years old and came from all over the country. American labor laws did not apply, Chinese ones did. Though I had never planned on a career as a teacher, I had become one. Though the company pushed training and personal growth, it was the students who made the job bring happiness to my life. They did not want to come to the USA, they wanted me to come and see ‘their China’.


Keiser University found out I had been doing this for a year and offered me the opportunity of a lifetime – would I go to China and work with their students? They wanted to produce students with a better global business understanding of English. My doctorate was in global business and I had been teaching English as a second language for more than a year…this was exactly up my alley. I did not have to give up First Future and would now have the chance to see the students that I had been speaking to for a year. I was going to be gone for 9 months -1 year.


I do a lot to care for my family, they would have to do without me for a while. This weighed heavy on my mind. I was caring for many people; this would be very hard on them too. After speaking to all concerned, they wanted me to have this opportunity. I was a little scared, though I had been working in China for more than a year, the American media had made it out to be a frightening place. With much thought and consideration, I accepted the position.
I had never had a passport or visa so; Keiser hired an agent to help me. What I was told could be handled in 2 weeks, actually took 6 and there was much stress involved. I had hoped to see family and friends before I left but, due to the agent’s incompetence, I had to wait around the house to keep getting paperwork that needed to be added to applications. I had to see the doctor, get shots and fill prescriptions, I also had to get permission from First Future to have meet ups with my students, and they were very supportive.


Friends and family were happy I was getting the opportunity but, sad they would be without me for so long. This created some really ‘bi-polar moments’ – we love you, have a good time vs. fuck you, you’re going. A few of them crushed my feelings but, when they apologized all was forgiven. I understood it was because I would be missed, and they were worried as they saw the same media I did.


Finally, passport and visa in hand, Keiser ordered my tickets. I would be gone in a few days. It really hit home now that my life was about to change forever. The world, my world, that I would leave behind would not be the same world I would return to. Many of my global coworkers at First Future helped me through this. These students needed me to be there for them and I had made a commitment. Being the Girly Pirate I am, I pulled up my big pirate panties and rolled with it. It was time for the journey of a lifetime to begin…


#teacher #China #lifechoices #education #FirstFuture #KeiserUniversity

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy this journey of a lifetime! W are enjoying your updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, hope its one of many in the coming months, you're doing a great job, take care, stay safe and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Blog! I look forward to more. Keep embracing your experience. Hugs across the miles!

    ReplyDelete