Saturday, June 8, 2019

Welcome to China



Okay first let me admit the American media had taught me a certain level of fear…OMG, did they get it wrong…if I can not be at home in America, this place is pretty freaking awesome…yes, there are cameras here – no more than webcams in America…no there are no kung fu masters jumping out of doorways…and NO ONE has hated me because I am American, if anything they are even more polite to me…


My second day I started working with 2 young people in a national compition…this was a 3 part English speaking contest…I also got to meet several of the students who would be going to Keiser West Palm Beach campus...this was so much fun…I felt safe and welcome…my coworker John showed me the lessons I would need to prepare for while he was gone

I have been still working for first future…so the third day was about getting wyfy hooked up…whole this was being done, I was treated to a VIP meal…this was wonderful…I tried to use chop sticks – I did so well they gave me a knife and fork…lol…the food was interesting…John explained we would never know what most of it was, just try it and keep eating it if I liked it



SICFL is the host college for Keiser….this is a wonderful school with very caring staff who have not only Chinese but, also international student body…working in and around this campus gives one a very global feeling…does not matter where anyone is from, everyone gets along…I feel blessed to be here and very special


The biggest comment I have heard, even by those who do not speak English is ‘Welcome to China’ this comment is followed by a big smile…the warmth from the heart lets you know the sentiment is genuine…I contacted my student Daisy and her mom…they too were just as welcoming…this whole country was so polite it seemed a little strange to me…4 of my college students wanted to take me to Yu garden in downtown Shanghai


We woke early and took a Taxi to the subway…they explained it would be 2 hours to get to the inner city…no biggie I had been on the T in Boston, the subways in New York and Washington DC…this was the fastest subway I had ever been on – make sure you hold on to the hand grip…people actually gave up seats for the old or women traveling with children without being asked…Marin grabbed my arm as it stared to pack in…she was so sweet…she was taking good care of me as we emerged from the subway and it was raining…even in the rain, I was gobsmacked by the beauty...it was sooooo clean and gardens everywhere…as you walk along the mix of ancient and modern is stunning – a real engineers dream….


The on to Yu Garden…this is a private garden that had been constructed in the Ming Dynasty so, that he may receive his guests…the detail was beyond incredible from rooflines in the shape of dragons to Koi that had descended from original fish, along with a gink tree that was more than 500 years old…it struck me that it had been planted before my country had been conceived…the students got a kick out of my child like wonder


Then it was off to the best meal I have had since I have been here…at the top of a 6 story mall, was a beautiful restaurant…everything is served on a giant lazy susan and is meant to be shared…and the food just kept coming…the texture of the noodles was like nothing served an America…the ribs were served with a dry rb and the meat itself had a sweeter flavor than what I had known stateside

We took a taxi to meet Daisy and her mom in a different part of town…this was a different multistory mall complex…this was a child I taught online for quite some time…to see her in person…to hug her…I was so happy, I wanted to cry…she was as beautiful in person with the same attitude…being an online teacher is not as easy as everyone thinks…sometimes you wonder if you have any impact on those you teach…to be treated so wonderfully made it all worth it…


Then I was whisked off to another meal…man, for such little people do they like to eat…every time I turn around there is more food…even though food was constantly being shoved in my mouth I had been losing weight…this meal was the perfect example why…Marin and I split a bowl of Pasta…no garlic bread or parm cheese served with it…though little Ryan was with us and that girl can eat – it was impressive…I bet she could give Joey Chestnut a run for is money…


We grabbed a Taxi home to the dorm…this was the end of my first week in China…I was exhausted and had lost weight, my belly was full and my mind was so overwhelmed…I was being shown the China of my students’, not something from a travel brochure…this was so much better…though there were a few quirky things, this was so cool…


1 comment:

  1. Fascinating insight into another culture we dont often get to hear about. Many thanks and cant wait for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete